Visit us in the quaint hamlet of Myrtle Station, ON at: 9585 Baldwin St. N. (905)655-4858
(17.8km north of 401 exit 410. Look for the green house with the red roof a few doors north of the Myrtle Station railroad tracks)

Thursday, April 3, 2014

lumio in cotton as a scarf

Lumio, the super chunky reflective yarn is new of for spring in cotton.
I started a hat, then changed my mind once I looked at the patterns freely available on the SMC website. I think the scarf will be more useful. The name of the design is Yukon
This cowl/scarf is a super vehicle for the robust stitches. One of the pattern rows is what I call a river stitch, where you *knit 1, yarn over* for one round then drop the yarn overs on the next knit round so the work grows even faster.
Before starting,  I noticed this yarn is like a bundle of combined small strings.  Apparently cotton is not as receptive to dye as wool, so to facilitate the penetration of the colour into the yarn, it is made as a bundle of threads rather than a tighly spun cable. I tied a knot at the beginning of the yarn to keep the end together ( and will untie it before I tuck it away when I finish)
Knitting the yarn added a twist to it. So every so often I suspended the knitting to let it unwind, than carried on knitting. The pattern called for 2 colours, but I used one ball, was able to knit extra rows and had leftover yarn.
Quick to knit, big, gorgeous stitches that will reflect light in the evening when I go for a walk along the busy road out here.
and of course the supreme satisfaction of another fine FINISHED project!


No comments:

Post a Comment